Osho Rajneesh Life's At Village entertainment


One of the greatest losses to India happened when India became divided 
from Pakistan, and that was the last thing the politicians ever thought 
about. 

In my childhood I encountered it almost every day, because all over the 
country the streets were full of magicians. 


I have seen with my own eyes things which even today I cannot figure out 



how they were managing. Of course there were tricks behind them; there 
was no miracle, neither were they claiming that they were performing 
miracles. They were simple people, poor people, not arrogant, but what 
they were doing was almost a miracle. 

I have seen magicians in my childhood putting a small plant of a mango 
tree, just six inches high at the most.. In front of everybody they would dig 
the hole, put in the plant, then cover the plant and then chant in gibberish 
so you cannot understand 

what they are saying. The pretension is that there is some communication 
between them and the hidden plant. 

The moment they remove the cover, that six inch mango plant has ripe 
mangoes. 

And they would invite people--you could come close, you could see that 
those mangoes were not in any way tied on. People would come and see 
and they would say that they are grown, not attached. 

The magician would offer those mangoes to a few people so that they could 
taste that they were not false or illusory--and people would taste them and 
say, "We have never tasted such sweet mangoes in our whole life!" And 
there was no claim for any miracle. 

I have seen magicians bringing from their bellies big round balls of solid 
steel. They would be so big it was difficult to take them out of their mouths-- 
people were needed to pull them out of their mouths--and they were so 
heavy that when they were thrown on the earth they would make a dent. 

The magician would go on bringing bigger and bigger balls... It was a trick- 
-but how were they managing it? And they would throw those big balls, 
almost the size of a football-they would throw them in the air and they 
would fall and create such a big dent in the earth. They would tell people, 
"You can try"-and people would try, but they were so heavy that it was 
difficult to pick them up. And they all have come--a dozen or more, all 
around--from the belly of the magician. 



He would show, half naked, the upper part of his body naked--he would 
show that the ball was moving upwards. You could see that the ball was 
moving upwards, that it was stuck in his throat, and you could see and you 
could go and touch and feel that the ball was inside. Then, with great 
difficulty, he would bring it into his mouth and he would cry, tears coming, 
and ask people somehow to take it out, because he is not able. They would 
destroy all his teeth to help him-and the miracle was that as they were 
taking it out, the ball was becoming bigger. By the time it was completely 
out, it was so big that that man's belly could not contain even a single ball, 
to say nothing of one dozen balls. 

But all these magicians were Mohammedans, because it was not a very 
creditable job. These were street people. Because of the division of 
Pakistan, all those Mohammedan magicians have moved to Pakistan. They 
were coming from faraway Pakhtoonistan, Afghanistan. But now the roads 
are closed; now you don't see the magicians anywhere. 

Otherwise it was almost an everyday affair-in this marketplace, in that 
street, near the school, anywhere where they thought they could gather a 
crowd. 

I have seen with my own eyes something which sometimes I wonder 
whether I have seen it or dreamed it. I have not dreamed for thirty-five 
years., but the thing is such that it is absolutely unbelievable that it really 
happened. 

A magician came to our school. The school was a very big school, with 
almost one thousand students and nearabout fifty teachers. Even the 
principal of the school, who was a postgraduate in science, first rejected 
the man: "We don't want any nonsense here." 

But I had seen that man doing impossible things, and I told him, "You wait." 

I went into the office of the principal and said, "You are missing a 
tremendous opportunity. 

You are a scientist... I know this man; I have seen him performing. I can 
ask him to 



do the best that he can, and what is the harm? After school time, those who 
want to see can stay." 

Those magicians were so poor that if you could give them five rupees, that 
was too much. I told the magician that I had convinced the principal, he 
was ready to allow it after school--"but you have to do the greatest trick that 
you know. On your behalf I have promised--and he is a man of scientific 
mind, so be careful. There will be fifty graduates, postgraduates, so you 
have to be very alert. You should not be caught, because it is also a 
question of my prestige." 

He said, "My boy, don't you be worried." 

And he did such a thing that my principal called me and said, "You should 
not associate with such people. It is dangerous." 

I said, "Have you any idea what he did?" 

He said, "I don't have any idea, and I can't even believe that this has 
happened." 

The magician threw up a rope which stood in the air just like a pillar--a rope 
which has no bones, nothing, it was just coiled and he had carried it on his 
shoulder- 

ordinary rope. He went on uncoiling it and throwing it out, and soon we 
could not see the other end. What happened to the other end? 

All magicians used to have a child who was their helper. He called the boy, 
"Are you ready to go up the rope?" 

The boy said, "Yes, master"-and he started climbing the rope. And just as 
the other end of the rope had disappeared, at a certain point the boy also 
disappeared. Then the magician said to the crowd, "I will bring the boy 
down, piece by piece." 

I was sitting by the side of the principal. He said, "Are you going to create 
some trouble for me? If the police come here and see that a boy is cut into 
pieces..." 



I said, "Don't be worried, he is just performing a magic trick. Nothing is 
going to be wrong. I have been watching him in many shows--but this I 
have never seen." 

The magician threw a knife up and one leg of the boy came down, and 
everybody was almost breathless. He went on throwing knives., another 
leg. .one hand, .another hand, .and they were lying there on the ground in 
front of us, not bleeding at all, as if the boy was made of plastic or 
something. But he was speaking, .he was doing all the things the magician 
was saying. Finally came his body, and just the head remained. 

My principal said, "Don't cut his head!" 

I said, "Don't be worried. If he has cut him., what does it mean? If the police 
come, you will be caught." 

He said, "I was saying from the very beginning, no nonsense here, and now 
you are talking about police. I have always been suspicious of you; perhaps 
you may have informed the police beforehand to come at the right time." 

I said, "Don't be worried." 

And then the magician shouted into the sky, "Boy, only your head is there; 
let it drop." The head came rolling down, and he started putting the boy 
together again. 

He joined him perfectly well, and the boy started collecting his things and 
said, 

"What about the rope? Should I start pulling it back?" The magician said, 
"Yes"--and the boy started pulling the rope back and coiling it. 

I had only heard about the rope trick, which is world famous. Akbar 
mentions in his Akbar Nama, his autobiography. Since Akbar it has been a 
rumor in the air that there are magicians who can perform it, but no 
authoritative account is available. One 

British viceroy, Curzon, mentions in his memoirs that he saw the rope trick 
in New Delhi before his whole court. 



I was making every effort to find some magician--so many magicians were 
passing through my village, and I would ask them, "Can you perform the 
rope trick?" 

They said, "It is the ultimate, and only very rare masters in magic can do it." 

But this man-1 had not asked him particularly for the rope trick, but he did 
it. Even today I cannot believe it. I can see the whole scene, I can see the 
principal freaking out-and all the magician got was five rupees. 

Magic simply means something unbelievable, so absurd, so irrational that 
you cannot find a way to figure it out. satyam18 

Call it meditation, call it awareness, call it watchfulness-it all comes to the 
same: that you become more alert, first about your conscious mind, what 
goes on in your conscious mind.. And it is a beautiful experience. It is really 
hilarious, a great panorama. 

In my childhood in my town there were no movies, talkies. There was no 
cinema hall. Now there is, but in my childhood there was not. The only thing 
that was available was that once in a while a wandering man would come 
with a big box. I don't know what it is called. There is a small window in it. 
He opens the window, you just put your eyes to it and he goes on moving a 
handle and a film inside moves. 

And he goes on telling the story of what is happening. 

Everything else I have forgotten but one thing I cannot forget for a certain 
reason. 

The reason, I know, was because it was in all those boxes that came 
through my village. I had seen every one, because the fee was just one 
paise. Also the show was not long, just five minutes. In every box there 
were different films, but one picture was always there: the naked 
washerwoman of Bombay. Why did it used to be in every one?--a very fat 
naked woman, the naked washerwoman of Bombay. That used to be 
always there, .perhaps that was a great attraction, or people were fans of 
that naked washerwoman; and she was really ugly. And why from 



Bombay? 


If you start looking, .just whenever you have time, just sit silently and look at 
what is passing in your mind. There is no need to judge, because if you 
judge, the mind immediately changes its scenes according to you. The 
mind is very sensitive, touchy. 

If it feels that you are judging, then it starts showing things that are good. 
Then it won't show you the naked washerwoman of Bombay, that picture 
will be missed out. So don't judge, then that picture is bound to come. 
ignor26 

When films were shown for the first time in small villages people started 
throwing money, as is the custom in villages. If there is a drama company 
or something, someone dancing, they throw money. They started throwing 
money at films in small villages. I have seen people in small villages 
throwing money--at the screen--a dancing girl dances, they start throwing 
money. When a dancing girl dances and her petticoat begins to rise up in 
the dance, they bend down and start looking from below. There is nothing 
there, just a play of light and shadow. But people, people just like other 
people. This is how their whole life is. death05 

Have you ever gone to see a drama, not from the audience, but backstage 
where actors and actresses dress themselves up and prepare themselves? 
Then you will be surprised. 

That was one of my hobbies in my childhood, to somehow get backstage. 

In my village every year they used to play Ramleela, the great story of 
Rama. And it is far more beautiful if you see what happens at the back. I 
have seen Sita, the wife of Rama.. In India she is worshipped as the 
greatest woman ever born, absolutely virtuous, pure. It is impossible to 
conceive of a purer woman or a purer love. It is absolutely impossible to 
conceive of a more religious, more pious, more holy woman. But at the 
back of the stage I have seen Sita before she goes on the stage- 

smoking beediesl.. 

Just to prepare herself, just to give herself a shot of nicotine, Sita was 



smoking beedies. It was so absurd. I enjoyed it so much! 


And Ravana, the man who is the criminal in the drama of Rama's life, who 
steals Sita and who represents evil in India, was telling Rama, 'You be 
aware! Last night you were continuously looking at my wife in the audience, 
and if I see you doing that again I will teach you a lesson!' 

Now, Rama is the incarnation of God, but in the drama he was just a 
schoolboy--and schoolboys are schoolboys. And Ravana teaching him, evil 
incarnate teaching God. .'Don't look at my wife--that is not right!' 

I enjoyed being backstage so much that what happened on the stage 
looked very ordinary. 

When you become a witness you enter the backstage of life--and there 
things are really absurd-you start seeing things as they are. Everything is 
illogical, nothing makes sense. But that is the beauty of life: that nothing 
makes sense. If everything made sense, life would be a boredom. Because 
nothing makes sense, life is always a constant joy, a constant surprise. 
Iotus04 

In my village, as happens all over the East, every year Ramleela was 
played--the life of Rama. 

The man who used to play the part of Ramana, the enemy of Rama who 
steals Rama's wife, was a great wrestler. He was the champion of the 
whole district, and the next year he was going to stand for the 
championship of the whole state. We used to take a bath in the river almost 
simultaneously in the morning, so we became friends. I told him, "Every 
year you become Ramana, every year you are being deceived. Just the 
moment that you are going to break Shiva's bow so that you can get 
married to Sita, the daughter of Janaka, a messenger comes running in 
and informs you that your capital of Sri Lanka is on fire. So you have to go, 
rush back to your country. And meanwhile, Rama manages to break the 
bow and marry the girl. 

Don't you get bored every year with the same thing?" 



He said, "But this is how the story goes." 


I said, "The story is in our hands if you listen to my suggestion. You must 
have seen that most of the people are asleep because they have seen the 
same thing year after year, generation after generation-make it a little 
juicy." 

He said, "What do you mean?" 

I said, "This time you do one thing I say." 

And he did it! 

When the messenger came with the message: "Your capital, the golden Sri 
Lanka, is on fire, you have to get there soon," he said, "You shut up, idiot"- 
he spoke in English! 

That's what I had told him! All the people who were asleep woke up: "Who 
is speaking English in the Ramleela?" 

And Ramana said, "You go away. I don't care. You have deceived me 
every year. This time I am going to marry Sita." 

And he went and broke the bow of Shiva to pieces, and threw it into the 
mountains- 

it was just a bamboo bow. And he asked Janaka, "Bring, .where is your 
daughter? My jumbo-jet is waiting!" 

It was so hilarious. Even after forty years, whenever I meet somebody from 
my village, they remember that Ramleela. They said, "Nothing like that has 
ever happened." 

The manager had to drop the curtains. And the man was a great wrestler, 
and at least twelve people had to carry him out. 

That day the Ramleela could not be played. And next day they had to 
change Ramana; they found another person. 



By the river, Ramana met me. He said, "You disturbed my whole thing." 


I said, "But did you see the people clapping, enjoying, laughing? For years 
you have been playing the part and nobody has clapped, nobody has 
laughed. It was worth it!" 

Religion needs a religious quality. A few qualities are missing. One of the 
most important is a sense of humor. 

They stopped me meeting their actors. They made it clear to every actor 
that if anybody listened to me or met me, he would not be allowed to act. 
But they forgot to tell one man who was not an actor.. 

He was a carpenter. He used to come to do some work in my house also. 
So I said to him, "I cannot approach the actors this year. Last year was 
enough! Although I did no harm to anybody-everybody loved it, the whole 
city appreciated it. But now they are guarding every actor and they don't 
allow me close to them. But you are not an actor. Your function is some 
other work. But you can help me." 

He said, "Whatever I can do, I will do, because last year it was really great. 
Can I be of some help?" 

I said, "Certainly." 

And he did it! 

In the war, Lakshmana, Rama's younger brother, gets wounded by a 
poisonous arrow. It is fatal. The physicians say that unless a certain herbal 
plant from the mountain Arunachal is brought, he cannot be saved, by the 
morning he will be dead. 

He is lying down on the stage unconscious. Rama is crying. 

Hanuman, his most devoted follower, says, "Don't be worried. I will go 
immediately to Arunachal, find the herb, bring it before the morning. I just 
want some indications from the physician how to find it, how it looks. There 
may be so many herbs on the Arunachal, and the time is short, soon it is 
night." 



The physician said, "There is no difficulty. That special herb has a unique 
quality. In the night it radiates and is full of light so you can see it. So 
anywhere you see a luminous herb you can bring it." 

Hanuman goes to Sri Arunachal, but he is puzzled because the whole of 
Arunachal is full of luminous herbs. It is not the only herb that has that 
special quality. There are many other herbs which have the same quality of 
being luminous in the night. 

Now the poor Hanuman-he is just a monkey--is at a loss what to do. So he 
decides to take the whole mountain, and put the mountain there in front of 
the physician to find the herb. 

The carpenter was on top of the roof. He had to pull the rope on which 
Hanuman comes with a cardboard mountain with lighted candles. And I 
had told him, "Stop exactly in the middle. Let him hang there, with the 
mountain and everything!" 

And he managed it! 

The manager rushed out. The whole crowd was agog with excitement at 
what was happening. And Hanuman was perspiring, because he was 
hanging on the ropes with the mountain also in the other hand. Something 
had got stuck in the wheel on which the rope was going to be rolled. The 
manager rushed up. He asked the carpenter, .and the carpenter said, "I 
don't know what has gone wrong. The rope has got stuck somewhere." 

In a hurry, finding nothing, the manager cut the ropes, and Hanuman with 
his mountain fell on the stage. And naturally he was angry. But the 
thousands of people were immensely happy. That made him even more 
angry. 

Rama continued repeating the lines he had been told to say. He said, 
"Hanuman, my devoted friend.." 

And Hanuman said, "To hell with your friends! Perhaps I have fractures." 
Rama went on saying, "My brother is dying." 



Hanuman said, "He can die any moment. What I want to know is, who cut 
the rope? I will kill him." 

Again the curtain had to be dropped, the Ramleela postponed. And the 
manager and the people who were organizing all approached my father 
saying, "Your son is destroying everything. He's making a mockery of our 
religion." 



I said, "I'm not making a mockery of your religion. I'm simply giving it a little 
sense of humor." 

I would like people to laugh. What is the point of repeating an old story 
every year? 

Then everybody is asleep because they know the story, they know every 
word of it. 

It is absolutely pointless. 

But it is very difficult for the old traditionalists, the orthodox people to 
accept laughter. You cannot laugh in a church. sword04 

I was learning, but not in school, and I never repented for it. I learned from 
all kinds of strange people. You cannot find them working in schools as 
teachers; that is not possible. I was with Jaina monks, Hindu sadhus, 
Buddhist bhikkhus, and all kinds of people one is not expected to associate 
with. 

The moment I became aware that I was not supposed to associate with 
somebody, that was enough for me to associate with that person, because 
he must be an outsider. Because he was an outsider, hence the prohibition- 
-and I am a lover of outsiders. 

I hate the insiders. They have done so much harm that it is time to call the 
game off. 

The outsiders I have always found a little crazy, but beautiful-crazy yet 
intelligent. 

Not the intelligence of Mahatma Gandhi-he was a perfect insider-nor is it 
the intelligence of the so-called intellectuals: Jean-Paul Sartre, Bertrand 
Russell, Karl Marx, Hugh Bach, .the list is endless. glimps46 

Other villagers 

Just nearby is sitting Narendra. His father had a strange disease: six 



months he used to be mad and six months he used to be sane--a great 
balance of enjoying both worlds. Whenever he was sane he was always 
sick, always grumpy. He would lose weight, and he would fall victim to all 
kinds of infection; all his resistance to disease would be lost. And in the six 
months when he was mad, he was the healthiest person you could find--no 
disease, no infection--and he was always happy. 

The family was in trouble. Whenever he was happy the family was in 
trouble, because his happiness was a certain indication that he was mad. If 
he was not going to the doctors, if he was enjoying his health--he was mad. 

While he was insane, he would get up early in the morning, four o'clock, 
and wake up the whole neighborhood saying, "What are you doing? Just go 
for a morning walk, go to the river, enjoy swimming. What are you doing 
here in bed?" 

The whole neighborhood was tortured, .but he enjoyed it. He would 
purchase fruits and sweets and say, "You can come to my shop and get 
your money." Naturally- 

Narendra was very small, his other brothers were even smaller-even the 
smallest children were watching him, that he does not steal the money. But 
whether they watched or not, he would go on distributing fruits and sweets 
to people and saying to them, "Rejoice! Why are you sitting so sad?" 
Naturally, they had to pay money to all kinds of people. 

It was a very strange situation. Children steal money, and fathers, 
grandfathers, prevent them. In Narendra's house, the situation was just the 
opposite: the father used to steal money, and the small children would 
shout for the mother: "He is taking money again!" 

And by the time the mother was there, he was gone-gone to the market to 
purchase sweets, fruits, or anything whatsoever, wholesale! He was not 
concerned with small things-just wholesale purchase and distributing. And 
everybody loved it, but everybody was tortured, also. 

Once it happened that he escaped while he was insane. He had just gone 
to the station, and the train was there, so he sat in the train. One thing just 



led to another, .and he reached Agra. 


In India there is a sweet; its name is such that it can create trouble, and it 
created trouble for him. He was feeling hungry, so he went to a shop and he 
asked what it was, and the man said, "Khaja." Khaja in Hindi means two 
things: it is the name of that sweet, and it also means, "Eat it", .so he ate it. 

The man could not believe it. He said, "What are you doing?" 

He said, "What you said." 

He was dragged to the court because, "This man seems to be strange. 

First he asked the name, and when I said 'khaja,' he started eating it!" 

Even the magistrate laughed. He said, "The word has both meanings. But 
this man seems to be insane-because he seems so happy, so healthy." 
Even in the court he was enjoying everything--no fear, no sign of fear. He 
was sent to a madhouse for six months, and he asked happily, "Only six 
months?" 

He was sent to Lahore--in those days Lahore was part of lndia--and just by 
coincidence... There was some cleaning stuff for bathrooms; after four 
months in the 

Lahore madhouse he drank the whole drum of that cleaning stuff and it 
gave him vomits and motions. For fifteen days he could not eat anything, 
.but it cleaned his whole system-so he became sane! 

And then began a great period of difficulty. He went to the superintendent 
and said, 

"Just because of drinking that stuff, for fifteen days I could not eat anything, 
and my whole system has been cleaned. I have become sane." 

The superintendent said, "Don't bother me, because every mad person 
thinks he is sane." 

He tried his best to convince him, but the superintendent said, "This is the 
whole business here every day--every madman thinks he is sane." 



He was telling me that those two months were really very troublesome. 
Those first four months were perfectly beautiful: "Somebody was pulling my 
leg, or somebody was cutting my hair-it was all okay. Who cares?-- 
somebody was sitting on my chest, .so what? 

"But when I became sane, and the same things continued--now I could not 
tolerate it if somebody was sitting on my chest, somebody was cutting my 
hair, somebody has cut half my mustache..." 

They were all mad people. Amongst those mad people he was the only one 
who was sane. No mad person ever accepts that he is mad. The moment 
he accepts he is mad, sanity has started coming. spirit07 

But superstitions... 

You go for a morning walk and you meet a man with only one eye-finished, 
your whole day is finished. Now nothing can be right. Strange, .what does 
that poor fellow have to do with your whole day? But a superstition, 
centuries old.. 

I had a small boy in my neighborhood with only one eye. Whomsoever I 
wanted to torture., early in the morning I would take the boy and just give 
him chocolates, and he was ready. I would watch from far away: "You just 
stand in front of the door. Let the fool open the door.." And the moment he 
would open the door and see the one-eyed boy, he would say, "My God! 
Again? But why do you come here in the morning?" 

One day he became so angry that he wanted to beat him. I had to come 
from my hiding place, and I said, "You cannot beat him. It is a public road, 
and it is his right to stand here every morning. We used to come once in a 
while; now we will come every day. It is up to you to open your door or not 
to open your door." 

He said, "But if I don't open my door, how will I go to my shop?" 

I said, "That is your problem, not our problem. But this boy is going to stand 
here." 


He said, "This is strange. But why this boy..? Can't you take him to 



somebody else? 


Just., my neighbor is a competitor in my business, and I am getting 
defeated continually because of this boy." 

I said, "It is up to you. Baksheesh!- if you give one rupee to this boy, he will 
stand at the other gate." 

He said, "One rupee?" In those days one rupee was very valuable, but he 
said, "I will give." 

I said, "Remember, if the other man gives two rupees, then this boy will still 
be standing here. It is a sheer question of business." 

He said, "I am going to report to the police. I can..." 

I said, "You can go. Even the police inspector is afraid of this boy. You can 
get him to write the report, but he will not call him into his office. Everybody 
is afraid--even the teachers are afraid. And this boy is so precious, .so 
whoever creates any trouble in the city, I take this boy. Nothing has to be 
done--he simply stands there in front of the door." 

Problems are all around you. So even if you somehow get finished with one 
problem, another problem arises. And you cannot prevent problems arising. 
Problems will continue to arise till you come to a deep understanding of 
witnessing. That is the only golden key, discovered by centuries of inward 
search in the East: that there is no need to solve any problem. You simply 
observe it, and the very observation is enough; the problem evaporates. 
spirit06 

In my village there is one man, Sunderlal. I have been surprised.. sunder 
means beauty, sunderlal means beautiful diamond; and he is anything 
other than a beauty. 

He is not even homely. I have been surprised again and again that names 
are given to people which are just the opposite of their qualities... 

This Sunderlal was really ugly. To talk to him meant that you had to look 
this way and that way; to look at him made one feel a little sick--something 



went berserk in the stomach. His front two teeth were out, and he had such 
crossed eyes that to look at him for a little while meant a certain headache-- 
and he was Sunderlal! He was the son of a rich man, and he was a little 
nuts too. 

I used to call him Doctor Sunderlal although he was never able to pass 
matriculation. 

He failed so many times that the school authorities asked his father to 
remove him because he brought their average low every year--and he was 
not going to pass. 

How they managed to get him up to matriculation, that is a miracle. But it is 
understandable, because up to matriculation all examinations are local, so 
you can bribe the teachers. This was difficult to do in the matriculation 
examination because it is not local, it is state-wide. So it is very difficult to 
find out who is setting the papers, who is examining the papers. It is almost 
impossible; unless you happen to be the education minister or some 
relative of the education minister, it is very difficult to find out. 

But I started calling him Doctor Sunderlal. He said, "Doctor? But I am not a 
doctor." 

I said, "Not an ordinary doctor like these physicians: you are an honorary 
doctor." 

But he said, "Nobody has given me an honorary doctorate either." 

I said, "I am giving you an honorary doctorate. It does not matter who gives 
it-you get the doctorate, that's the point." 

He said, "That is true," and by and by I convinced him that he was an 
honorary doctor. He started introducing himself to people as Doctor 
Sunderlal. When I heard this, that he introduces himself as Doctor 
Sunderlal... He was a relative of our sannyasin, Narendra. 

One day I saw a letterhead with "Doctor Sunderlal, D.Litt., Honorary," 
printed on it in golden letters, embossed. I said, "This is great!" And as time 
passed by people completely forgot: he is now known as Doctor Sunderlal, 



D.Litt. Nobody suspects, nobody even enquires who gave him a doctorate, 
from what university? But the whole town knows him. And because he is an 
honorary doctorate he inaugurates social gatherings in the school, in the 
college--now the town has a college--and he is the most literary figure. 

Just now* my mother was saying that Doctor Sunderlal has become a 
member of parliament. The new government, .after Indira's assassination, 
Rajiv Gandhi chose him. He is rich and certainly respected in the town 
because he is the only doctor--an honorary doctor! People get. .and 
perhaps he believes it. Now you cannot tell him that he is not. He will drag 
you to the court. 

Now, for almost thirty years he has been a doctor; that is enough. Nobody 
has objected, nobody has raised a question. In his election campaign his 
name was Doctor Sunderlal, D.Litt.--"Vote for Doctor Sunderlal, D.Litt." 
Perhaps--and he is a little nuts--he believes that he is. I know that even I 
cannot persuade him that "this doctorate I gave to you." He will laugh and 
say, "What are you saying? I have been a doctor for thirty years. You were 
just a little kid when I became a doctor!" 

He will not agree so easily to drop his doctorate. But even if you get a 
doctorate from a university, what does it mean? There is not much 
difference. dark06 

*Note: 1985 

One of the richest men of his time, in 1940. .1 was a small child and my 
father was sick, so I was with my father in the hospital. This rich man, Sir 
Seth Hukumchand, had created a really great hospital in Indore. He used to 
come, and by chance we became friends. He was an old man but he used 
to come every day and I used to wait for him at the gate. I asked him, "You 
have so much.." Almost three-fourths of the houses of Indore were his 
property. And Indore is the next most beautiful and rich place to Bombay. 

He said, "You are asking a strange question. Nobody ever asked me." 

I had asked him, "Why are you still creating new industries, creating new 
palaces? 



And you are becoming old. How is all this going to be of any help at the time 
of death?" 

He said, "I know, everything will remain here and I will be gone. But just a 
desire to be the most successful, rich man in the country keeps driving me. 
For no other reason, just that everything I have must be the best." 

He has the only Rolls Royce in the whole world made of solid gold. It was 
never driven, it was just for show, standing in front of his beautiful palace. 
He has the best horses in the world that you can imagine. I have never 
seen such beautiful horses. 

He had a whole palace filled with all kinds of exotic things. And the reason 
was that he wanted to be the only owner of a certain thing. It was his 
absolute condition: whenever he purchases a thing, that thing should not be 
produced again; he should be the only owner. And he was ready to pay any 
money for it. 

His only desire was--because Indore in those days was a state--to 
purchase all the houses in the state, even the palace of the king. And he 
almost succeeded--seventy-five percent of the houses of Indore belonged 
to him. Even the king had to borrow money from him, and he was giving to 
him very generously in order to finally settle that the whole of Indore.. "He 
may be the king but it is my property." 

I asked him, "What will it do to you? What peace will it bring? You are 
always anxious, tense, coming to the hospital, asking the psychiatrist about 
your troubles. 

These houses cannot solve your troubles and this money cannot solve your 
troubles." 

And finally a time came when he captured all the gold of India, he became 
the gold king of India. He purchased all the gold, wherever it was possible. 
And once you 

have all the gold in your hands, you have the whole country in your hands. If 
you start selling it, the prices will go down. He kept the whole market 



dependent on him just because he was holding the gold. 

And I asked him, "What enjoyment are you getting out of it?" 

He said, "I don't know, just there is a tremendous desire to be the richest, to 
be the most powerful." 

The inward journey begins only when you understand it clearly that 
anything outside is not going to give you contentment. exist03 

I used to have a friend who was condemned in the whole city--he was a 
thief, and you can say he was a master thief. For almost six months he 
would be in jail, and six months outside. Nobody in the city even wanted to 
talk to him. 

From the jail he used to come directly to my house. He was a very lovable 
man. And whenever he would come from the jail to my house, naturally 
everybody in the family was disturbed. My father again and again insisted 
to me that this friendship was not good. I said, "Why do you believe in him 
and not in me? Am I your son, or is he your son?" 

And he said, "What kind of argument are you giving me?" 

I said, "I am saying exactly the right thing. You don't believe in me, you 
believe in him. You are afraid I will be affected by him--you are not giving 
even a single thought that I may affect him. Why do you think I am so 
weak?" 

He said, "I have never thought from this angle--perhaps you are right." 

Slowly, slowly that man became accepted by my family. It took a little time; 
there were many reasons for them to reject him. The first reason was that 
he was a Mohammedan; second, he was a thief. 

I had to sit outside the dining room because they would not allow him in the 
dining room. In a Jaina family, no Mohammedan can be allowed in the 
dining room. Even for guests or customers, separate plates, glasses, 
saucers, cups--everything is kept, but it is kept separate; it is used only for 
them. And I insisted that when I invited him for food, I was going to eat with 



him—I could not insult him. He may be a thief, he may be a Mohammedan, it 
doesn't matter; I respect his humanity. So the only way was that I would 
also have to sit outside the dining room. And my friend used to say, 

"Why do you unnecessarily continue to fight with your family?" 

And slowly, slowly my respect towards him changed him. He was angry 
with me, saying, "Your respect prevents me from being a thief, and I don't 
know anything else. I am uneducated." 

He was an orphan, and there was no other way for him except either to beg 
or to steal, and certainly stealing is better than begging. Begging degrades 
you very badly; by stealing, at least you are using your intelligence, your 
courage. 

He was angry and said, "Now my life has become really a problem, and you 
are the cause. I cannot steal because I cannot betray your trust, your love 
and your respect. 

And nobody is ready to give me employment." 

So I took him to my father and I said to him, "Now my friend wants 
employment. 

You are against his stealing, now give him employment; otherwise you will 
be responsible for his stealing. The poor fellow is ready to do any work, but 
nobody in the whole city is ready to give him work because he is a thief. 
People say to him, 

'Bring certificates from where you have been working. Who has ever 
employed you ever in your whole life?' And he has no certificates." 

I told my father, "Listen, somebody has to give him work the first time; 
otherwise, how can he get a certificate? You give him employment, and 
then you can give him a certificate. And I guarantee that he will not steal 
and he will not do anything wrong." 

On my guarantee my father employed him. All other friends of my father 
said, "What are you doing, giving a job to a thief? He will deceive you." But 



my father said, "My son has given his guarantee, and I have to give the 
man an opportunity because my son's reasoning is right: If nobody gives 
him an opportunity, then everybody is pushing him towards the jail. And the 
whole society is responsible for pushing him towards the jail. He wants to 
work, but if nobody is willing to give him work.. What do you want--that he 
should commit suicide or what?" 

Once a person goes into jail, then it becomes his only place, his home. 
Then within a few days he is back, because there is nobody outside to give 
him any protection, any dignity, any respect, any love. It is better to be in 
the jail. 

He proved tremendously trustworthy, and finally my father had to accept. 

He said, 

"You are right. I was thinking that I was taking an unnecessary risk. I had 
not thought that your reasoning was going to work. He is a professional 
thief—his whole life has been just going in and out of the jail. But you were 
right." 

My father was a very sincere man and very truthful; he was always willing 
to accept his mistakes, even in front of his own son. He said, "You were 
right, that I trusted more in him—I thought he would spoil your life. I did not 
trust that you might transform his life.

Post a Comment

0 Comments